NORTH CAROLINA’S SKIER SAFETY ACT
Read the Actual NC House Bill 334
A skier and / or passenger shall have the following responsibilities:
• To know the range of the skier's abilities to negotiate any ski slope or trail and to ski within the limits of such ability;
• To maintain control of the skier's speed and course at all times when skiing and to avoid other skiers and obvious hazards and inherent risks including variations in terrain, snow, or ice conditions, bare spots and rocks, trees and other forms of forest growth or forest debris;
• To stay clear of snow grooming equipment, all vehicles, pole lines, lift towers, signs, snow making equipment, and any other equipment on the ski slopes and trails;
• To heed all posted information and other warnings and to refrain from acting in a manner which may cause or contribute to the injury of the skier or others;
• To wear retention straps, ski brakes, or other devices to prevent runaway skis or snowboards;
• Before beginning to ski from a stationary position or before entering a ski slope or trail from the side, to avoid moving skiers already on the ski slope or trail;
• To not move uphill on any passengers tramway or use any ski slope or trail while such person's ability to do so is impaired by the consumption of alcohol or by the use of any narcotic or other drug or while such person is under the influence of alcohol or any narcotic or any drug;
• If involved in a collision with another skier or person, to not leave the vicinity of the collision before giving his name & current address to an employee of the ski area operator, a member of the ski patrol, or the other skier or person with whom the skier collided, except in those cases when medical treatment is required; in which case, said information shall be provided as soon as practical after the medical treatment has been obtained. If the other person involved in the collision is unknown, the skier shall leave the personal; identification required by this sub-section with the ski area operator;
• Not to embark upon or disembark from a passenger tramway except at an area that is designated for such purpose;
• Not to throw or expel any object from a passenger tramway;
• Not to perform any action that interferes with the operation or running of a passenger tramway;
• Not to use such tramway unless the skier has the ability to use it with reasonable safety;
• Not to engage willfully or negligently in any type conduct that contributes to or causes injury to another person or his properties;
• Not to embark upon a passenger tramway without the authority of the ski area operator;
• If using freestyle terrain, to know the range of the skier's abilities to negotiate the terrain and to avoid conditions and obstacles beyond the limits of such ability that a visible inspection should have revealed.
YOUR RESPONSIBILITY CODE
Skiing/snowboarding can be enjoyed in many ways. At ski areas you may see people using alpine, snowboard, telemark, cross country or other specialized equipment, such as that used by disabled or other skiers/snowboarders. Regardless of how you decide to enjoy the slopes, always show courtesy to others and be aware that there are elements of risk in skiing/snowboarding that common sense and personal awareness can help reduce. Observe the code listed below and share with other skiers/snowboarders the responsibility for an overall great experience.
• Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
• People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
• You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.
• Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.
• Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.
• Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.
• Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely.
KNOW THE CODE. IT’S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.
This is a partial list. Be safety conscious. Officially endorsed by: NATIONAL SKI AREAS ASSOCIATION
Notice: Undefined index: reportleft in /services/webpages/c/a/cataloochee.com/public/cataloochee_info/safety.php on line 283